Tuesday, January 17, 2006

peace the handraised polar bear

John and I "accidentally" saw a programming on KUED last night (well actually early this morning). It was about a little Polar Bear named Peace in Japan. It is a wonderful story and Atsuhiro, the guy who raised Peace, is a true animal lover. I have to find a copy of the programming! And guess where I'm going to try to go next time I'm in Japan?

Peace: The Handraised Polar Bear

On December 2, 1999, a polar bear named Peace was born at Japan's Tobe Zoological Park. After his mother rejected the cub, zoo keeper Atsuhiro Takaichi took on the task of 'child rearing' and subsequently succeeded in handraising a polar bear for the first time ever in Japan and just the third time in the world. PEACE: THE HANDRAISED POLAR BEAR chronicles five years in the life of the young cub and the caring zoo keeper from the critical time after Peace was born to the arrival of summer and the cub's first swimming lesson. As efforts continue toward bringing up Peace, we witness an unbreakable bond of mutual affection and trust.

Ok the intro doesn't do it justice. Everyone's got to find a copy of the story and watch it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok i've just watch that programme an hour ago and i'm feelin so touched... and jux like ya i'm tryin to get a copy of the documentary. ok jux remembered i need some sleep... good luck with the search!

Anonymous said...

Me and my grandson just finishing watch the doc on peace .I think it a wonderful thing the youmg man did for peace.I cry when the mother left him alone, that was a touching moment for me a mother that lost her son. I would like someone to do another update on peace.