Tuesday, May 12, 2009

macarons

I was craving macarons, and decided to make some on my own.

I checked out different recipes, and knew I needed to use some finely ground almonds, or almond meal, but all I had were whole almonds my friend Joyce gave me (brought back from her uncle's farm in California.) I chopped the almond in the food processor and of course it didn't turn out as good as almond meal or almond flour... I guess I must invest in some almond meal or flour soon if I'm going to make more macarons in the future.

Anyhow, my first attempt failed. I think the "batter" was too stiff. This was based off a pastry chef's recipe.

failed first attempt macarons
Hmm... yummy almond candy crisps, but not macarons at all.


My second attempt I used a modified recipe from chef Gordon Ramnsay.

macarons
Better, but there's still much improvement that needs to be made.


I made little macarons with chocolate filling:

macaron
I like it.


And on with my happy and very casual baking journey.

No comments: