Wednesday, November 04, 2009

daikon cake makes me happy

I make a savory daikon cake for the first time! I've always like daikon cakes. I buy them in Asian markets and order them at dim sum restaurants.

I decided to make my own, for the first time!

I first stir-fry some fried shollots (approx. a handful), 6 soaked and chopped shitake mushrooms, and some chopped bacon (approx. 4-5 uncooked black pepper slices). When everything seems cooked I season the mixture with a pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and some white pepper.

I then mix a bag of rice flour (approx. 1 lb.), a peeled and shredded daikon (approx. 2 lbs.), and just under 3 cups of water to make a thick "batter."

Mix the cooked ingredients and the batter, and it's ready to be steam cooked!

daikon cake 1
Some of the daikon chunks were not shredded completely inside the food processor, but it's ok. They add more texture and all.


I know poeple line dampened cheesecloth inside bamboo steamers, pour the batter mixture in, and steam for about 45-60 minutes until the cake is set. I steamed mine inside a rice cooker for an hour. Seems to work OK.

daikon cake 2
My first daikon cake!


daikon cake 3
Inside the cake.


I think I may have put either too much of the cooked mixture, or too little rice flour batter in my daikon cake, because the cake is a bit crumbly when I slice it. But it's really tasty!

daikon cake 4
I like to pan fry the (broken) slices until the outside is slightly crispy, and then dip them in sweet chili sauce and eat a bunch of it. Yummer!


Next time I'll try to make a smoother daikon cake.

No comments: