Wednesday, December 21, 2005

rowdy the husky was shot

I was in the kitchen making the doggie's dinner and saw this horrific news on TV. I was sad and angry. I started swearing a bunch and Yama, being a little confused and scared about what I was doing, kept coming close to lick my elbow. A husky in Park City was shot to death because he was about to "attack a deer." Rowdy the husky apparently saw a deer and started chasing her. He was TRYING TO CHASE HER for crying out loud.

This reminded me of another dog shooting incident a couple months ago. A pit bull was shot in his own front yard because some old lady called the cops and said the dogs attacked her and was biting her ankle. The pit bull was IN HIS OWN FRONT YARD for crying out loud.

I question the officers' intentions for killing the dogs. They very well could tranquilize the dogs instead of shooting them to death. I wonder if they would handle the situations differently if the dogs were theirs. The captain of the Summit County Sheriff’s Office backed the officer's decision to shoot the Rowdy. The captain of the Salt Lake County Sherrif's Officed backed the officer's decision to shoot the pit bull a few months back. I wonder if they examined the evidence before they made that call.

I love my dogs and I see them as part of my family... my kids to be exact. I may still be too sad and angry about this whole incident right now to understand why the officers had to shoot Rowdy. However, you can read about the story on KUTV or on ABC4 watch the news video tape and think about how you'd handle the situation.


And that day the sherrif's office offered Rowdy's mom (and her daughter) a new dog.

No comments: