Tuesday, February 07, 2006

doggie sick

Nuki has been making this weird noise since Sunday. It sounded as if there's a small fur ball in his throat. Yama started doing the same thing yesterday. Yama doesn't make as loud of a noise, but I knew both of them were not feeling well. I thought there were mucus in their throats, because they'd make this "kaaa-aa-kaaa" noise but then nothing came out. I tried to teach them how to cough and spit but that didn't work. I felt really bad because they seemed to be in great discomfort.

John called and made an appointment with the vet for today and there we went. Apparently Nuki caught kennel cough when he got his haircut the other day, and Yama picked it up from him soon after. Dr. Belnap prescribed anti-biotics and cough-suppressant for them, and mentioned that common cough medicine like Rubatussin would work on their coughs too.


It's tricky to give the meds to the dogs. I have to hide the little pills in ground beef and/or melted cheese, and even that Nuki would know there's something else in the yummy treat and refuse to take them... in that case I'll have to dig out other cheese-loaded stuff for him.

I'm a bit surprised that Naicha didn't get the sickness. She was usually the getting sick and going to the vet's. John thinks that she got sick so often when she was younger that her immune system just got all stronger!

I hope all the dogs will be well and healthy soon.

No comments: