Monday, January 14, 2008

mochi maker

When John and I travel we usually only have our carry-ons with us, but this time when we were coming back from Japan, we had a "luggage" we needed to check in... because we finally got a mochi maker!

mochi maker


I've always loved mochi. You can't find good and fresh ones here in Salt Lake, so I'm really glad I get to make my own mochi now.

Being the first-time mochi making person, I decided to use the least amount of mochi rice to make a smaller batch.

mochi rice
I used 1.4kg of mochi rice as recommended by the instruction book.


mochi rice
After washing the rice, you have to let it soak in water for 6 hours, and then strained for 15 minutes.


mochi
Then you place it in the cooker and add water to a little box that's next to the cooking hopper... and then the rice is steamed, and pounded, and the mochi is about ready. (approx. 20-25 minutes)


katakuriko
When the mochi is being pounded in the machine, I got the trays ready by sprinkling some takakuriko (potato starch) on it.


mochi machine accessories
When the mochi is finally done I "poured" (and "dug") the mochi onto the cooling tray, flatten it with the rolling pin, and placed it in the fridge to cool. After it's cooked you can cut it into pieces for easy storage.


I didn't get to take more pictures after the mochi was out of the machine. It was just a bit too messy at the time with the sticky mochi, but I did get to taste some of the mochi and it was so delicious! John and I usually wrap the mochi pieces with grilled nori (seaweed) and dip them in Japanese soy sauce, but I've been reading about some exciting new ways of preparing mochi so I will try them out soon.

Hmm... mochi.

No comments: