Wednesday, June 04, 2008

stir-fried turnip cakes

My sister and I went to have pho at a local Vietnamese restaurant and we ordered a stir-fried rice cakes for appetizer. We ordered it because we were wondering what kind of rice cakes were in the dish... it could be something like mochi, rice flour discs, or puffy rice squares.

The dish came and they use rice cakes that were made of rice flour and water... similar to the store-bought turnip cakes. It was a very simple dish: simple cubed rice cakes with scarmbled eggs, green onions, and soy sauce.

I had never seen rice cakes prepared this way. After going home I decided to make my own version of it.

I heat a little bit of oil in the pan, and add some cubed storebought turnip cakes, toss the cubes for a little while, cover the pan to allow the turnip cake cubes to cook (until the cubes are not white, but slightly transparent). Add 2 eggs (pour over the cubes) and sitr to allow the eggs to fully cook. Add soy sauce, black and white pepper to taste.

sitr-fried turnip cakes


I think the dish turned out really good!

No comments: