Tuesday, April 22, 2008

spicy good

John and I went to Szechuan Garden again Sunday. It's been almost a year since we last visited the place. We've wanted to go for a while, but with the restaurant being out in Sandy and not open until 4pm on Sundays (the only day of the week we're off), we just hadn't had a chance to go.

But Sunday we went to IKEA (in Draper... farther south than Sandy) and I thought, hey, I really want some spicy Szechuan food, so off we went to Szechuan Garden.

spicy appetizers
We had "Happy Couple" and "Sauteed Tea-smoked fish (OK I made the name up)" as appetizers.


I think the sauteed tea-smoked fish was John's favorite this time. The texture of the smoked fish steaks was almost like pork. It's probably marinated and cured. Very delicious.

twice cooked pork
"Twice-cooked Pork".


I don't know how the pork was cooked twice, but it was really good. Szechuan Garden uses sliced fatty pork (almost like slices of bacon, but with more meat) and it was soft but not greasy.

shredded duck and veggies
Shredded duck with ginger and green onions.


The shredded duck with ginger and green onions was my favorite dish this time. At first glance I didn't see a lot of shredded duck, but when I pick up the vegetable pieces with my chopsticks there were usually duck pieces as well. There was no heavy sauce for this dish, but the flavors of the vegetables, duck, and spices in this dish made it the best "I'll-have-another-bowl-of-rice" yumminess.

We didn't have dessert there, but I did see "sweet egg" listed in the menu as a dessert. I wonder if it's custard of some sort... maybe I'll have to try it next time... just to see what exact it is.


川香園 Szechuan Garden
1275 E 8600 S
Sandy, Utah 84094

No comments: