Wednesday, April 02, 2008

whole wheat flat beer cheddar bread

My friend Joanne is very much into bread making these days, and that makes me think of our poor little bread machine that's been ignored andsitting in the guest room for months. I decided to make a loaf of flat beer and cheddar bread. (OK I made John make it for me.)

I let about a cup of beer sit out for about an hour to make the "flat beer." It makes the bread sweet and soft. Last night before bed John put everything in the bread machine and this morning the whole upstairs smelled like a giant piece of yummy bread!

homemade bread


John wrapped up the bread and brought it to the caffe today. I was so excited! The crust looked so good! After the morning rush I cut out a couple pieces to try. The inside of the bread was really dense and brown-ish. I took a bite and it was yummy (but not very sweet), and the texture was really dense. Did I mention it was really dense? :O

homemade bread slices


Anyhow, John remembered that the bread flour we had at home was whole grain wheat bread flour... and the recipe called for regular bread flour. Hmm... I wonder if that was the reason this bread turned out to be super dense.

I really want the soft and sweet beer bread! I guess I'll have to kindly ask John to make me another load pretty soon.

No comments: