The book Brian sent me was "Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts! Amigurumi" by the same Japanese lady that authored the other two books that I got in Japan. The book is so cute, and after flipping through it I decided to start making one of the little bears on the front cover.
I don't know if it's the English translation or printing error, but the pattern that I decided to use (the first pattern on the little bears) was missing information. As I started crocheting the first "row," I realized I had to crochet in rounds in order to make it work... not mentioned in the book... I know the experienced crochet-er all know this by heart, but I really had no clue until I checked the Japanese books.
After figuring out how to properly start the construction, I made the bear's head and body. As I move onto making the arms, I was confused by the pattern because it only lists 3 rows each for the arms and legs. Didn't quite make sense. I checked the other patterns and determined that the pattern is missing some parts. I guess I'll have to figure it out myself. (So far I'm thinking I'll make 9 rows in rounds to make the arms, based on some magical mathematic calculations... I don't know if it'll work quite yet.)
I did a quick search online and found that I was not the only person who ran into the missing-pattern-step dilemma. I guess the book is flawed.
The other patterns all look OK, though, so I'll probably try to follow them in the future (until I run into another problem). As of now I have the head and the body done for my little purple bear. I'll try to finish him up soon. (I still need to buy a pair of eyes for him... ) I think he'll be a handsome little bear when I'm done.