Friday, March 27, 2009

doggie "popcorn chicken"

I like to make crunchy treats for the dogs. I used to like to roll out the dough and cut it into shapes... but these days I'm a bit lazy, and I'd just make the dough (in the mixer) and then break it into small pieces with my hands (without even "shaping" them into balls). I'll then line the pieces up on a baking sheet, and bake them. They'd come out looking like little popcorn chicken!

homemade dog treats


I use my basic dog biscuit recipes, with occassional variations depending on what I have in hand. This time I think these were the ingredients I used:

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup dry milk
garlic powder (a copule teaspoons will do)
1 egg
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients in the mixer to form a dough. Break the dough into small pieces with hands. Line the dough pieces on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. I usually leave the treats in the oven after the 30 minutes baking time (with oven OFF) to allow the pieces to dry completely (for better storage.)

These "popcorn chicken" treats are really, really crunchy.

No comments: